Sunday, July 21, 2013

Results and my favorite places to run

The results are in - I finished a 15K "race" at 71 minutes and 58 seconds.   About 2 minutes off of my goal and at a pace of 7:43 minute miles.  I just wasn't able to maintain my goal pace of 7:30 the whole distance and slowed down significantly by the end.    Unfortunately, to get my goal of 1 hour 40 minutes for the half marathon, I need to average a pace of 7:38 minute miles.    And I'll have to do it for a longer distance and at a higher altitude then I ran today.   It's tempting to rethink my goal, but I think I'll stay in denial a little bit longer.   

I'm sure I looked about like this on my run today.  

I did my whole run at Wash Park today.  I've mentioned Wash Park in my blog before and I'll still maintain that it's one of the best city parks to run in that's out there.  It's a 2.5 mile loop with only 2 or 3 car entrances throughout the park, so there's no need to wait at stop lights.   It's a great place to do speed workouts because of that lack of interruption As I was running today, I thought about some of my favorite places to train in the different cities where I've lived.   


Denver - Wash Park

Great loop, two big lakes, lots of people watching, lots of fellow runners.  At 1.5 miles from my house, you'll often see me there running. 

Arlington, VA - W&OD trail

I lived in Arlington VA for a year and even trained for the Marine Corps marathon while living there.   One of my favorite trails for my long runs was the W&OD trail.    The trail begins in Alexandria and goes for over 45 miles.   The paved trail runs along the old Washington and Old Dominion Railroad line.   What I love about it is that you can run 10 miles each way and only cross a few streets.  It's super popular with cyclists and runners and it's fun to be able to run through the suburbs of DC without having to navigate the crazy traffic that comes with D. C.   

The green line is the trail

Pittsburgh, PA - Frick Park
Frick Park is this gigantic park located in the city of Pittsburgh that was donated by Henry Clay Frick to the city in the early 1900s.  Frick park has many trails to run or hike on and what I love about it is that you don't realize you're in the middle of the city when you run through Frick Park.  I remember a run after a nice big snowfall and feeling like I was running through the forests of rural PA.   We didn't live that far from Frick when I was in Pittsburgh and despite needing to scale the obnoxiously steep hill that is Shady Ave. to get there, it was always my favorite place to run.  

Kansas City - Little Blue Trace Trail
I didn't run that much while living in Kansas City.  When I do get back there and have time to run, I love to go out to the Little Blue Trace Trail.  It's a 11 mile paved trail along the Little Blue River.  It's super scenic and I've even run into people I know occasionally.

Lamoni, IA - Trestles
Not sure what the name of this running trail was, but it followed an old railroad track in an area that was lined with trees.  It ended at an old bridge that we all called the trestles.  Had some great runs with friends and this is where I began my love of running.    It looks like the bridge has now been rebuilt and the trail is now maintained.   Glad to see that others are enjoying my favorite trail for both running and walking.  


What are your favorite trails where you live?  Put em in the comment section so I can explore new running trails the next time I'm in your neck of the woods.  

4 comments:

  1. From my technologically challenged Dad:


    Ah, you may not have made your goal for today . . . but how do you factor in running by yourself when you are training vs. running with other people (I would think that would be a motivator of sorts) when you are running on race day? Also, how do you factor in having people (a.k.a. me, your mom, Karyn, Grayson, Brooks) cheering for you on the day you actually run? We will definitely be sending you positive, energetic vibes when you are running! I think the 5 of us can definitely account for the 13 sec/mi you need. That's only 2.6 sec/person/mi . . . we can do that . . . we'll work together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy Husk CirollaJuly 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

    Come out to the burbs! You can run a full out-and-back marathon in the Big Dry Creek open space in Westminster and never cross a road. There's also a great 14 mile loop in the open space behind Flatiron Crossing mall where you also never cross a road. That one's got some killer hills but cool scenery - the flatirons in the background, passing right under huge windmills, and a single track path through the meadow for awhile.

    And congrats on what sounds like an awesome training run. With the adrenaline of race day I'm sure you've got your goal time in the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestions Cindy, I'll have to check em out. It's always hard for me to drive very far to run, but when I get some time I will. I'm banking on adrenaline too

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've still got a couple weeks to get that pace down. Get yourself a good taper going, you'll be fine.
    Also, the MKT trail in Columbia, MO was a great stress reliever in college. Quiet wooded path that goes through the middle of the city, though you would almost never know it. Trolley Trail in KC is good too, although you do have to mess with traffic a lot more.

    ReplyDelete