Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Goal updates and odds and ends



Our good friends Justin and Helen were in town visiting us over the last couple of days.   They have a 2 month old and it's been fun just hanging out and catching up in between crying babies.   We went for a walk to Wash Park today and probably logged in 5 miles of walking in the oven that is Denver right now.   Unfortunately I still had to run 5 miles as part of my training schedule.  It was a tough run tonight at 7:45, but I survived.  I think sticking to a training schedule in the summer is hard because of visitors and vacations.   Still, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Super babies!!

I also promised Helen (who is one of my few regulars who reads the blog, that she'd get mentioned in the blog.  Here we are in the middle of our walk around wash park.  Thanks Helen!

Not bad, for 95 degrees!

Goal update #1 - The Fundraising goal - $2000.00

We're holding steady at $710 for HealthEd Connect.   The last time I'll probably be able to check for donations is the Thursday before the race - August 8th.  So don't wait until the last minute if you want to help me reach my $3000.00 goal and force me to race in a mustache.  

If you want to donate, go to www.healthedconnect.org and click on the button pay now or follow this link.   You'll see "Jeff's run for healthy kids" in the purpose of gift  drop down menu.  

Thanks everyone for their support

Goal update #2 - The Time - 1 hour 40 minutes

As you could read from my blog two days ago, I still remain under my goal times for my training.  I appreciate my dad's comment that I'll be aided by parent's, my wife's and my kid's raucous cheering, but it will be an uphill battle that's for sure.   


Goal update #3 - The Bet - 

I also am running this race to try to build some cushion on my year-long bet with my brother.  My brother just got married a week and half ago and is saddled with shin splints.  I have tried to take advantage and am currently 45.1 miles ahead of him.  If he heals and runs a marathon later this year, I will need a much bigger cushion.   Is it bad I'm hoping he won't be able to run a marathon


Sorry for the random thoughts.  I hope everyone is well.  See below for some blogs to check out. 




Blogs to check out:

http://www.rljart.com/blog/ - a blog by a friend of mine named Rachel.  She runs a lot and writes about a lot of interesting things including living in New York.    Check it out!

http://bikingwiththeshaffers.wordpress.com - a blog by my friends Ann and Jim.  They're riding ragbrai - a multiday bike ride across Iowa - for their wedding anniversary.  I'll have more on ragbrai and biking tomorrow.  





2 comments:

  1. Jeff - thanks for blogging about your running and...other things. I have enjoyed reading it! By the way...wanted you to know that your blog, along with some friends at work, helped motivate me to start running! I had been talking about it for way too long and finally started on at the beginning of July! Obviously, I won't be doing any marathons soon, but your thoughts on your blog keep me motivated to keep pushing for the next goal. Keep blogging! :)
    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know Travis and good luck with your running. I always think the first few weeks are the hardest as your body gets used to being active again. Keep me posted on how it's going.

    ReplyDelete