Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Denial - Part deux

So yesterday I posted about denial and how it can help people function in the face of severe illness as well as when running.  I also mentioned that denial can cause deleterious effects.   Today I wanted to expand the conversation around denial to the issue of poverty and injustice.  

I've been extremely blessed in my life and have had access to education and other resources that have allowed me to expand my world view greatly.   These opportunities are not available to the vast majority of the world's population and while I certainly worked hard throughout my life, there are other folks who work really hard too and they will never have even have a chance to become a physician, travel to various parts of the world, run a half marathon and blog about it,  or even have the chance to grow up without the fear of violence, hunger or debilitating illness.  

This is not fair.   There are systems in place that make it impossible for children growing up in rural villages in many African and Asian countries to even have a shot at a decent education, or an improved livelihood for themselves and their families.   It's what has led to these statistics for the population in Malawi:

Life expectancy: 54
Infant Mortality Rate: 53 per 1000 live births
Maternal Mortality Rate: 680 per 100,000 live births
Adult HIV rate: 10% of all adults have HIV



Now I think if we're all honest, we respond to those extremely sobering statistics with an element of denial.  In some ways that's a good thing.   The problems are so big and so complex that without at least some denial, we would be quickly overwhelmed and paralyzed by the weight of the issues.   Some denial allows us to function in this world  and not become overwhelmed with depression.

However, too much denial can be a bad thing.   It allows us to avoid the reality of what our fellow humanity is facing.  It causes some to turn a blind eye at the least or worse become so self centered that they use their wealth and resources to serve themselves or to wield their own political or economic power over others.  

But it doesn't have to be that way.  There are so many folks out there doing work to break down the systems that lead to poverty and injustice.   And it's why I'm running to support HealthEd Connect, because I think it is at least a small way that I can help out an organization whose mission is to get at some of the systemic issues that have led to the tremendous disparity throughout the world.  

I'm super excited that we've already raised $710.00 and hopeful that I can get close to the $3000.00 stretch goal that I've set.   If you're interested in supporting HealthEd Connect please go to www.healthedconnect.org and click on the button pay now or follow this link.   You'll see "Jeff's run for healthy kids" in the purpose of gift  drop down menu.  

No comments:

Post a Comment