Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pump me up running songs

My good friend Mark just shared a 60 song playlist to aid in my running.  Mark and I have had similar tastes in music dating back to college and his music was spot on, covering various genres.   Listening to his music got me thinking about what people listen to when they run.

As I've been thinking about this, I've realized that I often run without the assistance of music.   I own an  mp3 player that is easy to run with, but I very rarely use it.    Even when I'm training for a marathon and running 15 miles or more, I rarely run to music.   As an introvert, I think I like being alone with my thoughts. . . and as a nerd, I do a lot of math in my head.  


Still, I know that a lot of folks like to listen to music when they run or exercise.  For some it is a distraction, others use it to pump them up as they try to run faster.   Here are some of the different genres that people go to when they run:

1. Pump me up hip hop - a nice beat to help you keep the pace

Lose Yourself - Eminem


I had a couple of friends in medschool who would listen to Lose Yourself every day before studying for the boards.  




I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas

Gotta hope that feeling is a good one.





2. Hard Rock - nothing like a good guitar riff to get you going

Thunderstruck - AC/DC

Doesn't get much better than this for getting the blood pumping



3. 80's Rock - The bigger the hair the better

Don't Stop Believing - Journey

I'll never stop believing!

Jump - Van Halen

Would play this song during volleyball workouts


4. Music from your favorite artists - just listen to whatever makes you feel good

Some folks just like listening to the music on their playlist.  This serves more as a distraction and you can often find yourself 5 or 6 miles down the road before you notice.  


5. This American Life Podcasts - for all you nerds out there or Ira fanatics

He makes those glasses look so good!
6.  Cheesy Rocky Songs






So what music do you listen to while you work out.  I'll try to add it to the bottom of this list if I get suggestions.   

No comments:

Post a Comment