Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Running motivation



I've sometimes described myself as a person who has run marathons but is not a runner.   I say this because I don't usually just run for exercise.  My pattern is that I run for the duration of my training schedule for whatever race I've entered and then I rarely run afterwards . . . until I get the crazy idea to run another race.  Granted the amount of time I have to run has greatly diminished since we've added two little small guys to the mix, but this has been my pattern for most of my time since finishing college.   I run for 20 weeks or so, then stop for several months.  Then run for 20 weeks or so then stop for a year or two.  






















Two obvious distractions from running





I've also tried buying stuff so that I feel guilty if I don't run.   I've bought fancy new shoes (even jumped on the barefoot running bandwagon).  I have a fancy Garmin forerunner watch.   Though apparently mine is significantly outdated as I noticed when adding this fancy link to their website.   I've bought wicking shirts, wicking shorts, wicking bandanas   My desire not to waste things works for a month or two, but then I stop again.

Wicking Bandana - I've found my next purchase!
updated version of my merrell barefoot shoe (I couldn't handle the funny looking toes)


If only I used my Garmin as much as this blogger - she's a real runner



My strong desire to avoid wasting things motivates me for a month or two. then I find myself in the same place again  . . .  not running.  







Why ease into running when you can run the risk of multiple overuse injuries all at once

So here I am again . . . training for a race.   I am faithfully running 5 times a week . . . ignoring all advice to ease back into it . . . and even throwing in speed workouts this time around.   I feel really good . . . I'm sleeping better . . . I'm more patient and less stressed.   As a good friend of mine said, "exercise is my antidepressant."

Maybe if I run enough, my head will turn into a big yellow smiley face!



Knowing myself, I'll be ready for this race. . . the bigger question is - will I run at all after it's done?


What motivates you to stay in shape?   Does it work? 

No comments:

Post a Comment